Sweetie, English Butterfly Bunny & Tour Guide

Sweetie, English Butterfly Bunny & Tour Guide
Hi and welcome to "Fairy Castle Farm" I hope you enjoy your stay! I should introduce myself, my name is Sweetie and I am a resident of Fairy Castle Farm. Well it's not actually a farm, but a suburban home in the southern suburbs of South Australia. I am a rare Old English Spot Bunny, and absolutely love life here with all my family and some good friends too... let me take you on a tour ....

Fairy Castle Farm : Global Visitors

Guests

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Sorry it's been a while, quick update on Yollie's Surgery....

**** this happened in August 2013***
Yollie here,   I am finally home after "day surgery" completed on Thursday....

What an ordeal! 

Wednesday at my pre-op assessment my Anesthetist made a clear pain-relief chart to use post-op.

 I am allergic to almost all pain meds (morphine, pethedine, NSAIDS, Asprin, Codiene, digesics etc) as well as many antibiotics, it’s important my plan is thorough in the event of surgery. 

I’m nervous visiting the doctor or planning for surgery because of my sensitivity to so many medications. Going through my list, the anesthesiest said he could only perscribe IV panadol. He then wrote a script for "Capadex", to bring with me to hospital, this is one of the only strong pain meds I can use.

The plan was to get it that night and bring it in to hosp the following day, to use post-op. Stewart had a world of trouble filling it, the pharmacies advised Stewart it is no longer avail (with court cases pending) on it's use. Apparently it's supposed to be identical to "digesic" so this is the medication it’s substituted with. I however am allergic to Digesic (swelling of airways last year). 

Luckily though my local chemist had a pack of 10 capsules left and sold Stewart these. It would do, to get me though my post-op pain.

During admission to he following morning, the nurses locked up my medicine and then when they were needed (per my chart) post-op, I was informed that legally they could not administer Capadex, as it is no longer for sale, regardless of what my Anastesthiest had ordered!

So as per my hospital notes I was given 1 x iv panadol at 9am (post op), at 11am when I started really feeling the pain and asked for more pain relief, I was told "Sorry, that is all you have written up for pain meds, because Capadex is not allowed to be dispensed by staff!" They paged the Doctor, but it felt like forever and I was quickly getting to the point agony!

I begged, pleaded, cried, screamed. I told them to give me panadol, anything, but they said they could not because it may interfere with what the Doctor may give me when they eventually respond to their page?!?!

It felt like I was in hell!! I wanted to call Stewart and they would not bring me the phone!! ...I sobbed like a baby but it made no difference. For the course of the day - a dr was paged every 20 min, I was in agony. One of my nurses sat by me rubbing my back and trying to stop me crying, I just begged her to unlock my personal effects so I could use my mobile to call my GP!! I as refused and told my personal items were to remain secure until my discharge (normal procedure for day surgery).  I was in and out on conciousness and it wasnt until 5pm a Doctor finally arrived.

I was given "fentenol" I was told they took a calculated risk but the alternative was putting me back under anastesia while they sorted out what to do!!!

Needless to say I wasn’t discharged and I spent the night in the Gyni-ward. Once there I was put on a drip for fluids. At 8pm I noticed a sharp pain at my left elbow - at the site of my IV line, I called for the nurse who said I must have strained it ?? or fallen asleep on it ??- It’s progressively getting worse, red, hot and very swollen.... The doctor ordered a compression bandage, cream and antibiotics, hopefully this will heal it quickly. I also had an ultrasound to make sure it was not a clot - thank goodness it isn't.

So all in all It was a living nightmare but right now, as I type this,  I’m feeling better.   . I would not have believed yesterday, that today I would be feeling as well as I am.

Thanks again for all your kind and positive thoughts. take care ~ Yollie

No comments: